Sunday, April 09, 2017

Weekending


I haven’t got a whole lot to write about just now. I am still reading Wendell Berry’s beautiful novels about the people of Port William (though I did interrupt them to read most of Truly, Madly, Guilty by Liane Moriarty for book club). My new job is going well and the learning curve is still heading steeply upwards.

Yesterday I did something a little different and went in the Canberra Running Festival 10km run. As I said on social media, despite the fact that I have been a jogger for many years, I have never felt overly inclined to go in competitions or large running festivals, so I haven’t done it often. My main response to such events is something like ‘what do I need to do that for?’. I like to run, mostly, and the advantage of it for me is that it is so easy and so time-efficient as a form of exercise. I can put my shoes on and run out the door. Then I’m outside on my own and can think things through. The idea of getting in the car to go somewhere to be organised to run with a crowd of other people in some ways detracts from what I actually enjoy about it (and if you are not an elite athlete who is actually going to place in the race then you are just one of the masses).

However, there was talk among a few of us at work about going in some kind of running event and then one of the rectors sent out an email about putting a team in the Canberra running festival, so I decided to be in it. I only registered about a month before, and then the day after registering I ran 8 km in the morning, then cut down a large broad-leaved privet from my courtyard out the back, then that night I was leaning sideways over a table to talk to someone for a long while at the night noodle markets as part of Enlighten festival here, and when I got up from that table my left hip, which has been an recurring problem through the years, was gone. It was so inflamed and out of whack I had to do nothing for two weeks, and figured I’d just have to make a go of it on the day if I went in the run. So my hip still wasn’t (and isn’t) great but is mostly there. Then the whole thing coincided badly with hormones (wasn't going to mention that, but it happens to half the population and I don’t know how female athletes manage around such things), and a day that I would normally just take off. Instead I got up at 5.15 am (I actually woke up at 3.45 am and couldn’t go back to sleep), rolled the tightness out of my hip (a $10 foam roller from ALDI has been the best $10 ever spent), took two neurofen and went for a 10 km.

All that moaning done, the atmosphere was buzzing when I got there and the whole thing was it’s own kind of fun. I wasn’t far in before I felt like there wasn’t enough oxygen going into my legs and they were a bit dead, but I kept on and managed to finish in 55 minutes, 16 seconds. So I possibly could have been faster, but could also have been a lot slower, and I am happy enough with that time. The event has actually inspired me to get a sports watch, because I don’t usually wear a watch running, don’t take my phone, and basically haven’t cared how fast I have been running for years, but I think a watch or gadget that tracked time/distance might be an extra motivation and speed me up a little. I’d do the 10 km again.

I actually outdid myself for community involvement and responsible citizenship yesterday because then I went to a community open day for a new development near my house to hear about the proposed biodiversity conservation inclusions and see the plans, then last night I went to see a friend perform in a production of Les Miserables. Then I flopped into bed at midnight and stayed there till well into this morning.

1 comment:

Pete said...

well done for the run. I congratulate anyone who runs a race. I hate running big time but as an amateur boxer, running is sadly mandatory. Outside of boxing, I avoid anything to do with running ranging from 'park run to running in the rain. Give me a nice pleasant walk any day. But again, well done for doing it.