Saturday, April 23, 2016

I hope you love birds, too

Good evening. I am one day into the long weekend, to be spent pootling about at home. My sister and little nephew came up for a fairly spontaneous visit from Melbourne last weekend, and I was out for the entirety of it, so have been looking forward to this one to do some home jobs and clock up the needed I'm-an-INFJ hours at home. Though when my younger sister and her family went off to the coast to do a family fun run I did sigh and think it would be nice to have a family to fun run with, and when my pilates instructor said she was going camping with her husband I did sigh and wish I had someone to camp with, but no, I shall be thankful for my little home and pootling in it, which I am generally very happy doing. I have jogged and poked about in my garden and washed and put away things, then went and sat in the glorious Autumn afternoon sunshine at a cafe near my house on the edge of town, with a friend and tea and cake, which was very pleasant.

Last weekend I went out to Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve with my sisters and nieces and nephews, where someone involved in it's construction had a poetic bent and there are interesting quotes scattered about in the infrastructure. I took a photo of this one on a board walk, which has inspired a return to Emily Dickinson's poetry.


The full quote is: "I hope you love birds, too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven." It is from a letter she wrote to Eugenia Hall. I thought it required some Emily Dickinson poems about birds.

The most triumphant Bird I ever knew or met
Embarked upon a twig today
And till Dominion set
I famish to behold so eminent a sight
And sang for nothing scrutable
But intimate Delight.
Retired, and resumed his transitive Estate -
To what delicious Accident
Does finest Glory fit!
_____________

One Joy of so much anguish
Sweet nature has for me
I shun it as I do Despair
Or dear iniquity -
Why Birds, a Summer morning
Before the Quick of Day
Should stab my ravished spirit
With Dirks of Melody
Is part of an inquiry
That will receive reply
When Flesh and Spirit sunder
In Death's Immediately -

These both call to mind the last stanza of an old favourite, the first poem I posted here in 2007, by Thomas Hardy, The Darkling Thrush, that says:

So little cause for carolings
Of such ecstatic sound
Was written on terrestrial things
Afar or nigh around,
That I could think there trembled through
His happy good-night air
Some blessed Hope, whereof he knew
And I was unaware.

Let the birds be an example.

1 comment:

pete said...

Wellington NZ has heaps of rad street art, sculptures and quotes built into their public places. Some are open and easy to find, some are hidden. I was sitting down eating lunch the other day and when i looked up I notice this weird shaped concrete slap that looks like it was just tacked into bottom of bridge. So I walked to it and craned my neck to read a lovely inspiring quote. Stuff like that everywhere. When you have a bad day, feeling lonely, stressed etc. It is awesome to walk home and find some poem or quote built into something. It is a bit of game to find them all. I take photos of them but there is so many I haven't found yet.

Hope the long weekend recharges your batteries.
pete