Thursday, September 10, 2015

A bushwalk

On Saturday I took myself on what may or may not be the first of many solo bushwalks.

I actually got all excited a few weeks ago when I mentioned a walk I wanted to do to someone at work, and they were actually keen to come along, then I found yet another person who was keen to come as well. Bushwalking is one of those things I have mentioned to people over the years, which has not usually met with much enthusiasm, thus the reason for the rejoicing.

So, we planned it about three weeks ago for the Saturday just gone. Then one person was called up on Thursday to “desperately” fill in for music at and event at their church and felt obliged to do so, the other had an engagement party in the afternoon to attend, which was going to make it tight for them anyway, so on Friday we cancelled, with vague plans to go some other time in the future, in and around a whole lot of other events. But that left me with a weekend with no plans at all, so I thought to myself, ‘well, that had been the plan for weeks, I was looking forward to it, I have no other plans, so I am just going to go’.

One of the ways singleness can become somewhat misery-inducing or debilitating is if you are always waiting for someone to be available to do a thing, which can be difficult when dealing with other independent adults, or for someone to give an answer, so you don’t do the thing. Granted, some things are not overly suitable for doing on your own, bushwalking perhaps being one of them, but I decided to give it a go. It was perhaps a little reckless as I am still not finished with the physiotherapy on my leg (and while walking is fine and I have been told I can increase the jogging, I hadn’t really counted on so much calf-stretching climbing up and down rugged steps and over things), I did not actually tell a soul I was going, I had zero mobile phone coverage when I got out there, and I walked right past a big fat red-bellied black snake, which I was a little surprised to see out on only the fifth day of spring. (Black snakes do not particularly concern me. They can be deadly but are typically non-aggressive and fairly predictably found by rivers and creeks – brown snakes, taipans and tiger snakes worry me more.) While driving out there I realised that I had forgotten the snake bandages and the map, so I was hoping I wouldn’t need either.

But I quite enjoyed myself and felt satisfied for having not wasted the day because no-one was available or hadn’t answered ... It was a gorgeous day and it was nice to be out in it.

Without further ado here are some photos. The creek crossing was questionable, and I hadn’t really thought about how much rain there had been recently, but that added to the adventure. But then the sophisticated stile over a barbed wire fence amused me. (The walk was actually a bit odd, and I appeared to be on private land in a cattle paddock for some of it, and there was not so much "bush". It starts from a lookout not far from my house and then a loop begins on the other side of the river, so I came back to the same river crossing from the other direction.)



Below is the meeting of the Molonglo River with the Murrumbidgee River.








I’m extremely naughty because on the way back I noticed a lovely little white flower growing in patches beside the path, and so I stopped to examine it and then actually dug a couple of plants up to bring home (the walk is not actually in a National Park where wildlife is protected). But then when I got home and googled this plant, which I discovered is a native lily called ‘Early Nancy’, I realised it has separate male and female plants, and I had only collected one female. So, because I am now officially the crazy plant lady, and had no Father’s Day plans, I actually went back down the path on Sunday afternoon after church and dug up a couple more female plants (they are very small plants that grow from a tuber underground). I don't know whether they are going to survive yet, but hopefully might sprout again next spring.

3 comments:

Georgina said...

Sounds great but for all our peace of mind please buy an emergency locator beacon :)

Ali said...

Sure. :) Well, maybe. I actually thought I could just buy an EPERB and go by myself, but if they cost $1000 and weigh 10 kgs, I won't. And they are really only effective if the situation allows for you to be able to set it off, which doesn't cover all possibilities ...

Georgina said...

Yes but some possibilities is better than none ;)