Saturday, August 15, 2015

Therapeutic Superstition - a Saturday read


Last night I went with friends to see a performance of T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land, acted by Julian Lamb and accompanied by David Pereira on cello. This was, as you might imagine if you know the poem, quite surreal. As the leaflet said: "We hope that combining the music and text will enable you to receive the text more like a piece of music: something which does not have a clear meaning, but which can nevertheless have a powerful effect on you." The acting was marvellous and the music worked beautifully, so you had to leave in some way affected, even if you hadn't the faintest idea of why.

Afterwards we were having a rambling sort of conversation that may or may not have been the product of such a performance and talking about intuition and the brain and how we know things ... I happened to mention that I got the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards for my birthday, one thing lead to another, then these friends sent me an article by David Bentley Hart called Therapeutic Superstition, about a man named Reuben. I love it. If you are a die hard rationalist it is probably not for you, but I suspect the die hard rationalists left this corner of the internet long ago.

(And lest you think it is all greyness here, above is another painting I bought in an old wares shop, to show I have a little sunshine and happiness.)

No comments: