Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Intuition and the right side of the brain

I thought I’d start a little collection here of material about intuition and brain hemispheres, as I try to work out the connection between the two (it’s obvious that intuition is correlated with the right hemisphere, but I am vague on why that is so).

I mentioned I received Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards, by request, for my birthday. Block your ears while I blow my trumpets, but I was good at realistic drawing at school, drawing whatever was placed in front of me. What I didn’t realise is that that was such a right-brain activity, but it is, because it’s all about visual perception of space and light and shadow and of relationships etc. Then good old Myers-Briggs has me way out there on intuition, but exactly what that has to do with it I don’t know.

Anyway, I was simply thinking that I’d like to do more drawing again, and was probably horribly out of practice, because I haven't actually drawn much in years, when I got this book. I didn’t realise it would contain so much theory about the mind and it’s activities (and she is making a case for the skills used in drawing, particularly perception, being effectively transferrable to other areas of life). But I am finding that quite fascinating. Here are some quotes:
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
Albert Einstein
Over the centuries of history, The Master (the right hemisphere) has seen his empire and powers usurped and betrayed by his Emissary (the left hemisphere).
Iain McGilchrist, psychiatrist and Oxford Professor, from his book The Master and His Emissary (Yale University Press, 2009)

I've got no idea where I am going with this. I'm just collecting.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I want to see some drawing soon :)

Ali said...

I should not have talked it up. I will probably be total rubbish now! And there never seems to be enough time ..,