Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Growing up

I’m a wee bit stunned today. I have mentioned that I have been looking at places to buy. Well, I only finally got preapproval from the bank on Monday morning, as I have been waiting for paperwork to reflect some recent changes at work and so on. Then late yesterday (Tuesday) I went to look at a place that the agent was opening for ten minutes only for another buyer, thought it was a good property as soon as I walked in (you get to the point where you have looked at enough that you know), so I wizzed around, came home and read the building inspection report after bible study last night, which was all clear, so I made an offer this morning and it was accepted! Now there are contracts and sale agreements and other bamboozling pieces of paper flying about and I can hardly believe it.

But I think I got a good deal. It is actually a deceased investment estate so the family were keen to just sell it for a fair price to someone who could proceed in good time and be done with it. It’s further from the city than I was originally thinking, but is actually a few minutes walk from a bus station and a shopping centre, so in some ways is more convenient than other places closer in. And it’s got three bedrooms, albeit one smaller wardrobe-less one, two separate living areas and an enclosed garage (somewhat rare for units in Canberra), with a courtyard out the back (and – the joy – a garden shed and a clothes line!) which is more space than I had ever imagined (or even need). And what I really liked is that the main living area, bedroom and courtyard all face North, and there are skylights inside, as I was keen for a place with light and sunshine. So I am chuffed, and thankful. I could probably still be gazumped, so will try to keep my cool about it till it’s all sorted, but it is very exciting. I am moving out to the burbs to grow vegetables (maybe).

Right now I am so tired, as I couldn’t get to sleep last night with thinking about what to do, so I think I will just go to bed.

12 comments:

Georgina said...

Super exciting! What suburb?

Georgina said...

Follow up

Jessica Green said...

OHHHHH YEAAHH! Wonderful stuff!

Ali said...

Thanks Jess! It's mildly daunting, but one has to do these things sooner or later.

(And thanks again George!)

Jessica Green said...

If you are successful I look forward to seeing the progress of your garden.

Ali said...

Ah yes. At the moment I have much paving, but I have garden expansion ideas.

Meredith said...

Bravo! So exciting.

I remember the day our offer on our place got accepted. We were like, "What, aren't you going to say no and give us a counter offer? This is too much too soon." Felt sick for three days, couldn't make head nor tail of the mortgage contracts and just ended up signing away blindly, hoping that we weren't signing up to be deported to _________(insert appropriate location here) if we missed a repayment. (That never happened, fyi) And we have never looked back.

Hooray for you. Can't wait to hear more and to try out your new letterbox when it is up and running.
Mx

bec said...

Very exciting! And many congratulations!

Ali said...

Thank you Meredith and Bec! Yes, when they said the owners would accept x amount and take it off the market if I paid that (I did originally offer a little lower, but they had already just reduced the asking price), I couldn't quite believe it (and because I haven't done this before I didn't know how much the agent was hoodwinking me - but I think so far everyone is actually telling the truth!). So, in 6 weeks it might be all done and dusted. And I would love a Meredith letter in my new letterbox! :)

Rebecca said...

I am so happy for you, Ali! I look forward to meeting your new place. :-)

Anonymous said...

Raddest news I've heard all week. That is really exciting news for you. No doubt you will put your flavour and personality into the place in no time. Congratulations again.

Karen said...

Oh, that is awesome news :) Hope everything goes smoothly with the big purchase!!