Monday, October 13, 2014

Davey's rug and other crochet projects

If you have been around this blog for a while, you will know that it is a tradition, if you will, that I created for myself, to make a crochet rug for each of my nieces and nephews, inspired by the way my grandmother made one for each of her grandchildren. So, this last one was a little unexpected, but I have finished the rug for the precious little heart-surgery-surviving nephew, just in time for his first birthday in a few weeks.

It was a little dark for the inside shots, which is why the aperture is a little too wide, so I went outside. (Note my rose bushes growing like rainforest saplings in the background - that is one of them rising above the rug on the chair.)

I should acknowledge the inspiration of this person for this rug. I'd decided to make it in blues and browns, in large squares all the same size (no more of those jigsaw-piece rugs!) in a style that was suitable for a boy, and so I googled some such thing, and saw that rug, and thought it was a perfect idea (and was already flipping through Jan Eaton's 200 Crochet Blocks book, which I own and is where this criss cross block pattern comes from). What I thought was interesting was the way the brownish coloured centres and the third colour out in each square were alternated, and I wondered whether that gave a kind of internal harmony to the layout, while keeping the blues random. So I had a go. Perhaps it does.







And here're my strange rose bushes. I'm in awe of these bushes. They are literally growing before my eyes. Every time I look out the window I am amazed. (This was them as bare stems on the 6th August.) On each of the bushes one of the stems has gone bezerk, presumably after a little more sunlight.


And finally, I am working on a little contribution for the craft stall at our church fair this coming Saturday. They have brooch pins on the back.


3 comments:

bec said...

It's a beautiful rug, Ali! Love the boyish colours and squares, with the starburst in the pattern for a bit of wow. Well done!

Meredith said...

That is really lovely. Well done you. You make me want to learn to crochet. Maybe that is a plan for next year. Where should I start?

Ali said...

Thank you Bec and Meredith. I was a little surprised at how fast I seemed to get this one done - perhaps because it was just 16 big squares, so it was psychologically manageable!

Meredith, many years ago I started just making big granny square rugs as my Nana showed me, then branched into other things, so maybe start there ... There is so much on youtube nowadays. Meet me at Mikes blog has a granny square tutorial. For other stitches I bought this book, with a terrible name, called The Happy Hooker, but the stitch instruction section in the front is the best I've come across. Do it. I was just reading an article on the many benefits of knitting - if only I could find it now ...