Sunday, October 19, 2014

A book club

I thought I should make the announcement to readers that I have a new book club.

We recently had two long weekends in Canberra, and dwelling on the fact that I had next to no plans for doing anything or spending time with anyone, I decided that I needed to do something about meeting some people. So, it being a long weekend and all I went along to an evening church service elsewhere. The people were really welcoming and friendly and I enjoyed it a lot. I didn’t get there the next long weekend but went back two weeks later, and in chatting to one of the girls I found myself being asked if I would like to go along to a book club. I was thinking to myself, ‘are you kidding, I would love to be in a book club!’. So, this book club then met on Friday evening just passed. I hadn’t read the book, didn’t know the person who was hosting the evening, didn’t know who was going to be there, but I didn’t care. I was going out on a Friday night. With some other people. And they were going to talk about a book.

I had a great evening. The book for this month sounded rather fascinating, if quite some distance from my usual fare. It was The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, written in 1963 by John le Carre, who actually was a Cold War spy. I can’t even remember the name of the book for next month, but I am looking forward to it (I just googled what I remembered and I think it is Coal Creek by Alex Miller - "a brilliant novel of tragedy, betrayal and the beauty of lasting love", which sounds just fine). If I had been choosing a social network to join, I could hardly have come up with anything more perfect than a book club, so I am rather pleased. Thanks be to God.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

This sounds awesome, Ali, how fantastic! Dave has read that LeCarre book, so you can natter about it to him too. I look forward to hearing more!

Ali said...

Thanks Cath. It was fantastic. I didn't actually read the le Carre, and don't know whether I was glad to miss that one or not as I don't know how I'd cope with the tension (though better a book than a movie!), but I'd love to hear what Dave thought of it.

Karen said...

Book clubs are great :) Happy reading for the next meeting!