Sunday, September 28, 2014

Love in hard times

I’ve been a while ... and there are posts swirling in my head, and things I have wanted to write about, that haven’t made it out yet. So for now, here is another music video. I haven't mentioned my old friends Jars of Clay in a while, and Inland is the latest album stuck in my car CD player (I have a Blaupunkt stereo system in my little old car, and it’s a good place for music, but I can only put one CD in there, and they tend to sit there for a while till I am totally sick of them and can be bothered swapping, so I do CD immersion) and I think my favourite song would have to be Love in Hard Times (which I originally mixed up with Love in Hard Places, a good book by Don Carson I read once). I like “it’s when I think to reach across those battle lines” and “go there”, into the hard places, rather than living in “just don’t go there” avoidance and estrangement. Easier said than done for many of us conflict avoiders. And sometimes living dangerously and doing hard things, in relationships, turns out to be just plain hard and dangerous, and that is all. And other times we simply are just too tired to fight for something better. But still ...

(I feel like I must have a fairly persistent music memory, as this song called up from the deep Bruce Springsteen’s I’m on Fire, from 1985, and reminds me of it, right down to the whoo oohs, and I suspect that might have been the musical inspiration, either that or it was just a product of two songs being sure to sound like each other sooner or later, but the Jars of Clay lyrics are rather more edifying. It’s good driving music. This youtube is more echoey than the album, but I don’t mind that.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had this album in my work computer for last 8 weeks or so. I love it (as with all their stuff). Love in the hard times is a great song. 'Skin and Bones' I like a lot too and 'reckless forgiver'. But as an amateur boxer; 'after the fight' resonates a lot with me. Boxing and life are very similar. I hate violence and I am a pacifist, but I love the sport of amateur boxing and the life lessons it gives.
Anyway, love the jars!

Ali said...

Ah yes, I like Reckless Forgiver! Boxing not so much ...