Saturday, July 26, 2014

Some Shakespeare for Saturday

It’s been a while since there’s been Shakespeare here, so here a little snippet that seems apt to recent events:
Each new morn
    New widows howl, new orphans cry,
    New sorrows strike heaven on the face.
Macbeth, Act 4, Sc 3. Spoken by Macduff.

I actually found this in Walking with God through Pain and Suffering, by Timothy Keller, which I started reading a few days ago. I don’t know why I didn’t start this book earlier, it’s so good. You might wonder why I read such a book. Life has personally been stressful and hurtful of late (and whatever I do to try to fix a situation only makes it worse, and I can’t try anymore), and work exposes me to another level of pain of suffering (if I said Ro*yal Commi*ssion you might understand – we haven’t yet been called up as an organisation, but we might be, so I work on the ‘vaults of darkness’, as I've called them, in case) and thus it is good to have a heart and mind prepared to encounter such things, view them rightly and keep close to God.

Here’s another old quote that is more encouraging:
I will be with you, your troubles to bless, and sanctify to you your deepest distress.
From How Firm a Foundation, Ye Saints of the Lord, by John Rippon, 1787.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

That is an excellent hymn, isn't it. I only know it from Together for the Gospel CD, would love to sing it in church one day.

Ali said...

Yes, it is! We sang it growing up, and it was on a Hymns Triumphant CD I had. I haven't listened to Together for the Gospel - maybe I shall.