Friday, April 25, 2014

Friday - The lens of The Word

I started reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp again before Easter. It’s a very good Easter book to read. Kathy Keller recommended this book in her talk on Flourishing Faith in Dangerous Place of the Soul, in the section on suffering, with an hilarious little disclaimer that included something about “purple prose”, but recommend it she did, and I cheered on the inside because I think it’s such a helpful little book (and if there’s a theologically-educated, straight-talking, insightful and intelligent woman out there, Kathy Keller is one of them). I think it’s one of those books I am going to come back to time and time again. So today, here is a little section from a chapter called What in the world, in all this world, is grace?, which might be my favourite chapter:
To read His message in moments, I’ll need to read His passion on the page; wear the lens of the Word, to read His writing in the world. Only the Word is the answer to rightly reading the world, because The Word has nail-scarred hands that cup our face close, wipe away the tears running down, has eyes to look deep into our brimming ache, and whisper, “I know. I know.” The passion on the page is a Person, and the lens I wear of the Word is not abstract idea but the eyes of the God-Man who came and knows the pain.

3 comments:

bec said...

Oh that's beautiful. Thank you for the reminder about this book - I'd forgotten!

bec said...

Bought it on Audible - forgot I had a $5 voucher. Something nourishing to listen to on my drives next week!

Ali said...

Ah great! Might be interesting in audible - but once you get past the unusual writing style, with verbs and adjectives on the end of sentences, it's good stuff.