Wednesday, April 23, 2014

An olive-harvesting afternoon in the country

While I am about making my life look beautiful, I went out into the country for a little olive harvesting on Monday.

Some folks from the church I have been attending here have a little farm just over the border, and invited the whole congregation out to pick olives for the afternoon. This sounded like my idea of fun, so I went along. Then in the evening, when the fading light forced us all out of the olive groves and back to the house, they provided a magnificent dinner feast for all. I was gob-smacked by the vast quantities of scrumptious food that kept coming my way, till I couldn’t eat another thing. At one moment in the evening I was trying to make myself useful, so I was cutting up fruit salad in the farmhouse kitchen with some of the ladies, where I could hardly get a word in edgewise for the chatter and laughter, and it felt so very nostalgic. It reminded me of childhood days in Tamworth, where many of the church folks had farms and we’d go out to them for a spot of farming and a get-together. Good times then and now.

(These are mostly a selection of photos in which you can't really distinguish faces, as I didn't know whether I should put folks on the internet.)











1 comment: