Saturday, January 11, 2014

Saturday (and more from Narnia)

Right now I am sitting on the couch waiting for rust converter to do what it’s supposed to do (remember that old Fowler's Vacola steriliser I found on the side of the road? I am finally painting it). Yes, I have moved to the country and turned into one of those people who goes to Bunnings on weekends. I’ve even ordered chalk paint powder and wax online and now want to paint everything in sight. But since I haven’t chalk-painted anything at all yet we shall see how that lasts. I actually picked up a small wooden shelf unit in Vinnies that is working perfectly to house the TV and DVD player and stereo and some magazines, but it is that horrid shiny yellowish pine varnish, which doesn’t work with anything else I own, so it is first in line to be painted and I have nothing to lose.

Meanwhile I am totally hooked on re-reading the Narnia Chronicles. Those of you with children have probably read them all to the death, but I haven’t for years and it is a new discovery again. These are perhaps well known, but here are some portions I liked from The Horse and His Boy and Prince Caspian. This one is just amusing (no accusation of an "unrealistic fairy tale" can be levelled at this):
Aravis also had many quarrels (and, I’m afraid even fights) with Cor, but they always made it up again: so that years later, when they were grown up, they were so used to quarreling and making it up again that they got married so as to go on doing it more conveniently.
~The Horse and His Boy, by CS Lewis

And then there is the moment after Lucy has seen Aslan and knows he wants her to follow him, but her siblings don’t want to go that way, and she assumes she can’t follow him alone so she goes with them in a different direction. Later she has a conversation with Aslan:
“Welcome, child,” he said.
“Aslan,” said Lucy, “you’re bigger.”
“That is because you are older, little one,” answered he.
“Not because you are?”
“I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger.”
For a time she was so happy that she did not want to speak. But Aslan spoke.
“Lucy,” he said, “we must not lie here for long. You have work in hand, and much time has been lost to-day.”
“Yes, wasn’t it a shame?” said Lucy. “I saw you all right. They wouldn’t believe me. They’re all so ------”
From somewhere deep inside Aslan’s body there came the faintest suggestion of a growl.
“I’m sorry,” said Lucy, who understood some of his moods. “I didn’t mean to start slanging the others. But it wasn’t my fault anyway, was it?”
The Lion looked straight into her eyes.
“Oh, Aslan,” said Lucy. “You don’t mean it was? How could I—I couldn’t have left the others and come up to you alone, how could I? Don’t look at me like that ... oh well, I suppose I could. Yes, and it wouldn’t have been alone, I know, not if I was with you. But what would have been the good?”
Aslan said nothing.
“You mean,” said Lucy rather faintly, “that it would have turned out all right—somehow? But how? Please Aslan! Am I not to know?”
“To know what would have happened, child?” said Aslan. “No. Nobody is ever told that.”
~Prince Caspian, by CS Lewis

No comments: