Thursday, December 05, 2013

Lo, how a rose

I thought I posted this after it appeared in the Art House America blog last year, but perhaps I didn’t and it was just that Cath and I read and discussed it. Either way, it is worth posting again. It is a most beautiful and beautifully written post by Lanier Ivester describing how she moved (or perhaps was moved) through her anger at God, in the approach to Christmas, over her ongoing infertility. (And I think single people, who have never had the opportunity to have children, are allowed to experience the grief of childlessness that infertile married folks experience.)

And here is a version of the carol that I love from Sting (from his album If On A Winter's Night, which I also love, though it be perhaps a wee bit Catholic). Needless to say, there are going to be crochet roses on my Christmas tree also.

The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them;
and the desert shall rejoice and blossom as the rose.

Isaiah 35:1

No comments: