Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Seasons of waiting

Here is something else I have read in The Gospel Centred Woman by Wendy Alsup that was a very timely reminder and encouragement to me. There are some situations I need to proactively change in my life right now, but there are others where I have worn myself out with efforts that have not accomplished much, and from which I need to rest.
Short of a strong confidence in a sovereign Father who has a good plan for our lives for which He bears the responsibility, we can feel pressure to strategize and manipulate to change our circumstances. In my life, such strategies did not accomplish much of help except to keep me occupied. I have found great value at multiple turns in my life in simply resting. Seasons of waiting, when I take my hands off the steering wheel and remove my foot from the gas, have been some of the sweetest of my life. I shut my laptop, turn off the phone, and sit still for a while without pressure on myself to change my situation. My journal bears witness of those seasons, where I cry out to God, and He speaks words of peace to me. Wait. Rest. Be still. In the waiting, He will lead us beside still waters and restore our soul as only the Good Shepherd can do.

Psalm 37:7 also instructs, “Fret not”. The Hebrew word for fret is translated other places become angry or distressed. Picture a person worrying, with mannerisms that fluctuate between anger and distress. I have been there, concerned over some circumstance that I am alternately angrily trying to manipulate or despairing over my lack of control. In contrast, God calls us to confidence and peace. How do we move from anxiety to peace in concerning circumstances? I know of no other way than to review what I know to be true about God and then to take my thoughts captive and make them submit to the truth.
...

What do I know of the character of God? In a nutshell, God is sovereign, wise and compassionate.

Psalm 35:6 The LORD does whatever pleases him, in the heavens and on the earth, and in the seas and all their depths.

Romans 11:33 Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!

Psalm 103: 13 As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him.

God is in charge, and He knows what He is doing in your life. You can trust that He has not lost control of your circumstances. Not only does God know what He is doing, His plan for your life reflects both His all-surpassing wisdom and His fathomless love for you. His plan is good and right, and you can trust Him with the details of your life.

No comments: