Friday, August 30, 2013

Friday blinks

Can men and women be ‘Just friends’? Good advice for us all. Also, here is another similar post specifically for the women from Girltalk.

23 Signs You’re Secretly and Introvert. Oh yes. I have once or twice been called intense, and an old soul, I prefer to communicate in writing (and find it tiresome when people refuse to communicate in writing), I have low blood pressure, I do have that penchant for philosophical conversations and a love of thought-provoking books and movies (I refuse to spend money on “action” movies, which I find totally uninteresting) …

What we should have learned from Blue Like Jazz A post about evaluating books. Yes. “We Reformed folks like our theology like our fourth down measurements: precise. And this is good. But, it tends to make us reactionary. When we read a sentence that smells the faintest bit unorthodox we tend to dismiss the entire work.” I read Blue Like Jazz twice (and I certainly don’t agree with everything Don Miller is on about).

Some might think I've gone and lost it over this, but I stumbled upon Dr Phil's Ten Life Laws, and found them rather helpful. I was particularly interested in No 8, as I thought about what my contribution is to allowing a situation that I am finding stressful and discouraging to continue as it is. (There's overlap here with The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey and Growing Yourself Up by Jenny Brown.) I also liked Mikey's Emotional 'sins' to raise your kids to avoid. These things probably come effortlessly to some, raised in the right environments, but to others take more conscious work.

No comments: