Thursday, June 27, 2013

What I was doing last night

It’s OK if I don’t talk about politics isn’t it? National embarrassment that it is. There is a smidgeon of irony in the fact that rather than watching the ballot play out I spent last night at a lecture by our out-going Archbishop, Peter Jensen, on Christian Voices in the Public Sphere: How should Christians speak on public issues?. (It's just gone up online at that link – maybe I will send it to a few folks down in Parliament House.)

One of his side comments in there somewhere was actually that we don’t get too concerned about what’s going on in the State as Christians (Church and State being rightly separated) because we are more interested in community (but listen to the talk to put that in context). Yes.

To talk about the important things though, can I just say that I developed a soft spot for Julia when I discovered that she knitted things for the babies of cabinet members. (Did I blog that a while back? Maybe I didn't because I can't find it.) I also gained a certain amount of satisfaction out of the fact that the first female Prime Minister of this country knits, to quietly arm myself against those friends who I know quietly think I am some kind of fogey, or perhaps a little daft, or have too much time on my hands because I crochet (meanwhile they watch people cooking on TV – when I say that if crochet is grannyish, so is baking – my great grandmother was good at both). That said, the latest photo in Women's Weekly didn't work for me. Nobody scatters their yarn all over the floor and lets their dog sit in it ...

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Nobody.

Ali said...

Hee hee.

Yes, the Woman's Weekly editors obviously don't look at Etsy, and see how many times people say "made in a pet-free home". There is a reason ....