Tuesday, June 04, 2013

The Great Gatsby

I’m going to see this with a friend tonight. What I need to confess is that I have never read the book. I actually started and didn’t finish Tender is the Night, in which a mental health patient falls for her psychiatrist, and so the whole story unravels, and that’s about where I stopped with F. Scott-Fitzgerald. It’s not so much that I didn’t like aspects of that book, I just didn’t feel compelled onwards to finish it. It’s about the same time as I started Monkey Grip by Helen Garner, and didn’t finish that either, when not finishing books is not my usual modus operandi. Both of them felt like an impending shipwreck, and maybe it was all too much madness. But perhaps this movie will inspire me towards The Great Gatsby.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Looking forward to hearing what you thought of The Great Gatsby. I read it in high school and found a bit like a ship wreck - unreachable expecations and all that. Interested to hear if the movie delivers!

Alistair Bain said...

It's just about my favourite book of all time. I'm shocked, nay, dismayed that you haven't read it ;)

We're seeing it on Thursday night.

Ali said...

Cath, I have since recorded a few thoughts. It's not easy for me to separate Baz from Fitzgerald, but the movie is gob-smackingly excessive.

Alistair, maybe I will, maybe ...