Friday, June 07, 2013

Friday Foto

Between my place of work and my house lies a Vinnies opportunity shop. Every afternoon I have to resist the urge to pop in for a quick look, and should I venture in I then have to resist the urge to buy random “stuff”, just because it’s some good quality piece of something going cheap (when I probably wouldn’t have bought it full price so why buy it cheap). OK, so I am pretty good on the second point, but often duck in for a quick sweep of the store. I wonder whether op-shopping works on your psyche much like gambling. Once you’ve found that one amazing treasure in there for next-to-nothing, there is always the possibility that it will happen again. Or maybe not.

Anyway, yesterday evening I did venture in, and in my sweep I found these books. True, I would probably not have bought a Field Guide to the Birds of East Africa anytime soon, but this is a nice book (see, that’s how it works). It’s also a soddingly heavy book. I don’t know what the deuce it is made out of (thick glossy paper actually), but I had to carry it all the way home and it’s extraordinarily heavy. I take a little short cut that is quite dark now that it is winter, but I thought to myself ‘well, not to worry, if anyone unsavoury comes my way tonight I can swing the Field Guide to the Birds of East Africa at them, and no one would believe I knocked them out with a book until they tried to pick this one up’.

But without further ado, here are the books.


3 comments:

Meredith said...

The Tolkien book is great. I picked it up in Coles for a couple of dollars a few years ago. Gets a bit repetitive with all his letters to publishers but for the most part, a fascinating read, especially for one who loves letters.

Meredith said...

Less familiar with the other volume... :-)

Ali said...

In Coles? Maybe it wasn't such a find in Vinnies then.

Perhaps I should have given a bit more context to the other book. I actually quite enjoyed getting into bird-watching while at Uni and collected Australian field guides (some were necessary to my studies), and African wildlife has curious overlaps with Australian wildlife, which is what attracted me to this volume.