Thursday, May 23, 2013

That Holman bible and a forgotten Calvin

Yesterday I worked from home, and because I had nothing on the evening and so a lot of flexibility to get my work hours done, I took advantage of the opportunity to visit the Reformers Bookshop. It is actually only about four minutes drive from my house, but I had never been there before because it is only open on weekdays. So, it was a fun little lunch-time trip.

I went for the purpose of looking at the Holman bibles, and settled on the UltraThin Reference Bible.


It fulfils all requirements I was looking for in that last post and looks good. The only thing I don’t like so much about it is the “easy to read type”, which is, to me, an ugly modern font that is rather stumpy, so that the difference between letters like an h and and n is very minimal (if you click the picture it will get bigger). Call me a fogey but I like my bibles with a more classic font, and I remain to be convinced this is easier to read.


While there I picked up, and subsequently bought, this attractive little book called Truth for All Time, by John Calvin. It was marked at half price, and I liked its dusty blueness, but I couldn’t really tell what it was, so I asked if I could take the plastic wrap off. I was quite intrigued. According to the preface, by one Stuart Olyott, it is a little book Calvin wrote in the winter of 1536-1537 called A Brief Outline of the Christian Faith that is a résumé of the first edition of the Institutes of the Christian Religion. However, it fell into disuse and was forgotten for over 300 years, till in 1877 an original copy, and possibly the only one surviving, was discovered in the Paris National Library by Monsier Henri Bordier. It has only been published once before in English in 1949 in London, but Banner of Truth has now translated and republished it. So, it looks a lot quicker to read than the Institutes, and I look forward to doing so.

No comments: