Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Rejection and daddy issues

I read this post over at Practical Theology for Women the other day. I have a radar for such posts.

I am still wondering what it actually means for me. The plain truth is that I grew up without much in the way of affirmation from men, and I have little of it in my life at present. But the thing about having a completely absent father is that you can imagine he was almost anything. I like to fancy that my Dad would have approved of me, and been there for me, and been on my side against the world. But I am not so na├»ve that I don’t know that were he alive I might be disappointed in other ways. So, hmmm. The point is simply that you run to Christ for your identity and affirmation, regardless. I like how Wendy spells this out.

I am actually reading Jenny Brown’s Growing Yourself Up: How to bring your best to all of life's relationships at the moment, based on Bowen’s theory of family systems, which is proving interesting. I am not far in so will save further comment for later.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Hi Ali,
I've just started that book over the weekend too! Look forward to chatting about it.

Ali said...

Ah yes, how fortuitous - we must do that!